Sieda Community Action is currently accepting applications for Head Start Teacher Assistants in Ottumwa, IA.
The Teacher Assistant position requires planning and implementing learning experiences that advance the intellectual and physical development of children, including improving the readiness of children for school by developing their literacy, phonemic, and print awareness, their understanding and use of language, their understanding and use of increasingly complex and varied vocabulary, their appreciation of books, their understanding of early math and early science, their problem solving abilities, and their approaches to learning; establishing and maintain a safe, healthy learning environment; supporting the social and emotional development of children; and encouraging the involvement of the families of the children in a Head Start program and supporting the development of relationships between children and their families.
- ADDITIONAL TRAINING:
- Obtain and maintain a Preschool Child Development Associate (CDA) credential that requires ongoing CEU’s.
- Must complete required training hours annually, per Iowa Department of Human Services (DHS) Child Care Center regulations & Head Start Performance Standards.
- All staff are considered mandatory reporters of child abuse and required to hold a valid training certificate.
- All staff coming in contact with children are required to have up to date training in CPR, First Aid and Universal Precautions.
- Participates in pre-service, in-service/other trainings, AEA staffing, staff meetings, and committee work as required.
- Seeks out professional development through education, role modeling, mentoring, and by utilizing available resources and training opportunities.
- Head Start employees must pass a Pre-Employment state criminal record check, then successfully pass a state criminal record check every 2 years while employed in the Child Development unit.
- Head Start employees must pass a federal criminal record check with-in 6 weeks of employment, then successfully pass a federal criminal record check every 4 years while employed in the Head Start Program.
- Travel is required both in and outside the service area. Proof of auto insurance and valid driving license is required.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge skill, and/or ability required to be considered for this position.
- Must have High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED).
- Requires 6 months working experience in a Preschool, Child Care setting or other early childhood experience.
- Requires moderate level computer knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office programs, Google docs, and Gmail.
- Requires moderate level computer knowledge and experience with Windows based operating system.
- Must collect, enter, and update data into ChildPlus.net an existing Head Start management program with minimal training.
- Must collect, enter, and update data into Teaching Strategies GOLD an existing online early childhood assessment program with minimal training.
- Must perform simple maintenance to keep computers operational.
Wage range for this position is $12.82-$15.06 based on education and experience.
If interested, please complete the online application at https://www.sieda.org/application-for-employment. Please include your resume (mandatory) and cover letter (optional) with the application.
For additional information please contact:
Tamara Wheaton and/or Katie Thompson, Sieda Child Development Administrative Assistants