WHY ARE TOBACCO PRODUCTS SO HARD TO QUIT?
- Tobacco products are addictive because they contain nicotine.
- Nicotine keeps people using tobacco products, even when they want to stop.
- Nicotine is highly addictive & found in tobacco plants and now synthetic nicotine is made in a lab.
- Tobacco products contain nicotine, such as cigarettes, cigars, smokeless tobacco, hookah, tobacco, and e-cigarettes.
WHAT MAKES TOBACCO USE HARMFUL?
- There are many harmful chemicals contained in tobacco products and tobacco smoke.
- This toxic mix of chemicals causes serious health effects, including fatal lung diseases, and cancer.
- Some of these chemicals that are known to cause lung damage are also found in e-cigarette aerosols.
HOW CAN NICOTINE ALSO HELP PEOPLE QUIT SMOKING?
- The FDA-has approved nicotine replacement therapies (NRTs), such as nicotine gum, skin patches, or lozenges, that are designed to help addicted adults quit.
- When used properly, NRTs can increase the chances of successfully quitting a tobacco or e-cigarette product. Quitline Iowa is a free resource for adults and youth to help you quit!
Tobacco Prevention Specialist
Behavioral Health and Treatment Services
Sieda Community Action